Cincinnati Kindergarten Association Records
Scope and Content
This collection of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Association records includes correspondence between Annie Laws, a leader of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Association and the national kindergarten movement, and other prominent leaders in the national and international kindergarten movement including Maria Krau-Boelte and Patty Smith Hill. The collection also contains newspaper articles, programs, announcements, and lists of officers, and the Board of Directors of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Alumnae Association. The date span of the collection is 1876-1959.
- Cincinnati Kindergarten Association (Organization)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
History of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Association
The kindergarten movement in Cincinnati began in privately with the establishment of separate German-language and English-language kindergartens. By 1879, a group of wealthy women became concerned that the children in Cincinnati in most need of a kindergarten education, the poor, were unable to access such an education. These women, who included Mrs. Alonzo Taft and Miss Annie Laws, formed the Cincinnati Free Kindergarten Association. The association opened the first free English-language kindergarten and a training school for kindergarten teachers in March of 1880. The association later organized three other kindergartens in various parts of the city and agreed to supervise kindergartens established by various organizations throughout Cincinnati.
In 1905, the Cincinnati School Board began supporting kindergartens with public funds. Then in 1906, he Cincinnati Kindergarten Training School began an affiliation with the University of Cincinnati and its College for Teachers. Graduates of the Cincinnati Kindergarten Training School's two year certification program could continue their education at the University of Cincinnati and earn a four-year degree. The training school later became part of the University of Cincinnati, College of Education.
0.5 Linear Feet
Correspondence, articles, announcements and files, 1876-1959, of an organization affiliated with the College of Education.
Statement of Arrangement
This collection is arranged into folders by topic.
- Cincinnati Kindergarten Training School
- Cincinnati Public Schools. Kindergarten Deparment
- International Kindergarten Union
- Kindergarten - Ohio - Cincinnati Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Laws, Annie, -1927
- Teachers, Training of - Ohio - Cincinnati Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Cincinnati Kindergarten Association Records
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Archives and Rare Books Library Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English