Showboat Majestic records
Scope and Content
Records of a University of Cincinnati - affiliated summer musical theater organization. Materials include financial records, correspondence, programs, publicity materials, scrapbooks, and photographs. The collection also contains programs and budgets for the University of Cincinnati's Mummer's Guild, which was a theater group on campus, and information on graduate students in UC's theater program.
- Majestic (Showboat) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
History of Showboat Majestic
The Showboat Majestic was built 1923 and was originally owned by Tom Reynolds. He and his family lived and performed on the showboat until World War II. From 1945 until 1960, Hiram College and Kent State University leased the Majestic for a summer theatre experience for their students. In 1960, Indiana University took over the tradition. In 1965, the Majestic was dry-docked in Jeffersonville, Indiana after being found unsafe. The City of Cincinnati purchased the Showboat Majestic in 1967 and after major renovations the boat was moored at the foot of the Cincinnati Public Landing. The University of Cincinnati leased the showboat as a summer stock theater for its students until 1988.
14.83 Linear Feet (12 boxes)
Records of a University of Cincinnati - affliated summer musical theater organization. Materials include financial records, correspondence, programs, publicity materials, biographical files, scrapbooks, and photographs.
Statement of Arrangement
The collection is arranged into folders by subject.
ARB SWORD and Archives and Rare Books Library
- College theater - Ohio - Cincinnati Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Performing arts - Study and teaching (Higher) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Cincinnati. College-Conservatory of Music
- Finding aid for the Showboat Majestic records, 1926-1986
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Archives and Rare Books
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English