Good Samaritan Hospital Photograph Collection
Scope and Content
The Good Samaritan Hospital Photograph collection occupies 1 linear foot and consists of 6 folders. The subject matter of the collection ranges from wards and departments to interns and medical staff. The collection spans the years 1912 to 1941, with the bulk of the material dating from 1920 to 1935. The collection was initially given to the Archives and Rare Books Library by the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati through Sister Marie Ann Austin in November 1975. They were transferred to the History of Health Sciences Library and Museum, a precursor to the Henry R. Winkler Center, in August 1988.
- Majority of material found within 1920-1935
- Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati (Organization)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
History of Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1866 and is considered the oldest and largest private health care facility in Cincinnati. The hospital continues to flourish and is currently a member of TriHealth, a health system comprised of hospitals operated through the corporations Catholic Health Initiatives and Bethesda, Inc.
The hospital's early history is outlined in the University of Cincinnati Centennial Medical Bulletin, published in 1920:
"The Good Samaritan opened in 1866, with Sister Anthony [O'Connell] in charge, and with the [Miami Medical College] staff in attendance. In 1867, one of the first demonstrations of ether anesthesia in the Middle West was given in the hospital by Dr. W. T. G. Morton. Over 25,000 patients were cared for between the years 1866 and 1891 in the institution. In the latter year a large annex was built, greatly increasing the capacity of the hospital. The medical staff gradually passed out of the control of Miami College, and in to that of the Medical College of Ohio. Because the site at Sixth and Lock Streets was no longer suitable for hospital purposes, the Sisters, like the city, sought for a new location on the hilltops. In May, 1907, approximately fourteen acres of ground at Clifton and Dixmyth Avenues was purchased. Mr. Joseph Butler, son of one of the original donors, following the example of his father, assisted the new enterprise, not only by substantial material gifts, but also by his enthusiasm and influence.
In 1910, construction began and the foundation was laid. In 1912, a whirlwind campaign for additional building funds was conducted with great success. The work of completing construction and of equipping was continued. On September 1, 1915, the transfer from the Sixth and Lock property to the new modern institution began, and with the celebration of mass on September 3, 1915, the new Good Samaritan began its history.
The hospital continued as a teaching institution from the time of its organization until 1917, when because of the proximity of the new Medical College to the General Hospital and of the clinical material thus near at hand, medical instruction as a definitely organized hospital function ceased. However, as the majority of the medical staff hold positions on the faculty of the Medical Department of the University, they frequently bring groups of students with them to witness operations or examine medical cases, and the Sisters, as has always been their custom, extend a hearty welcome to the undergraduates....Sister Rose Alexius, the present Sister Superior, assumed control in September, 1919, and has clothed herself with the cloak of her predecessors. Under her administration, which has been progressive and invigorating, the hospital has continued to develop and is in a most flourishing condition . At the present time there are accommodations for 210 patients, and the demands for the same are exceeding the supply."
1 Linear Feet
A collection of photographs from Good Samaritan Hospital
Statement of Arrangement
This finding aid respects the original order of the both the folders and their contents. Previously used call or accession numbers for the collection are documented in this EAD, but are not followed as far as file order.
- Catholic hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cincinnati (Ohio) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clifton (Cincinnati, Ohio) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Good Samaritan Hospital (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Hospitals, Religious Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Medical staff Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Interns (Medicine) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical Staff, Hospital--history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Nursing Staff, Hospital--history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati
- Guide to the Good Samaritan Hospital Photograph Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Veronica Buchanan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574