Frank E. Detrick Collection
Scope and Content
The Frank E. Detrick collection occupies over 3 linear feet and consists of 3 boxes containing 6 books and over 30 medical instruments and other realia. Therefore, the collection is broken down in 2 series: Books and Realia. The books included in the collection are primarily from Dr. Detrick's time as a student at the Medical College of Ohio. The realia collection includes a dissection kit that was probably utilized by Detrick in medical school, but is primarily generated from his medical practice in Quincy, Ohio. Notable items include his medical bag, armamentarium, hand-held exam light, and both the interior and exterior signs from his office.
- Detrick, Frank E. (Person)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Biography of Frank E. Detrick
From a hand-written obituary, Dr. Frank E. Detrick was born October 20, 1876 in Pleasant Township, near DeGraff, Ohio. After his public and high school education, he entered the Medical College of Ohio in 1902 and graduated in 1906. Shortly thereafter, he started a practice in the small community of Quincy Ohio, where he served as a general practitioner for 34 years until illness forced him to retire in 1940. Dr. Detrick died on March 4, 1941. The handwritten obituary also noted that Dr. Detrick was "highly esteemed and well liked as a Doctor, neighbor, and friend. He was one of Logan County's prominent physicians." According to his Ohio State Medical Journal obituary, Detrick was a member of both the Ohio State Medical Association as well as the American Medical Association. Surviving family members noted were "his widow (Ida M. Whitmore Detrick), three sons (Ralph, Gerald, and Max), two sisters (Lola Carmony and Lida Detrick), and a brother (Clarence Detrick)."
3 Linear Feet
The collection consists of the medical instruments, realia, and books primarily from Dr. Frank E. Detrick's medical office.
Statement of Arrangement
The box arrangement adheres to the original order of the unprocessed collection.
- General Practice -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Johnson & Johnson
- Logan County (Ohio) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Medical College of Ohio (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Medicine, Rural Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians (General practice) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians (General practice) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Frank E. Detrick Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Veronica Buchanan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574