Wilhelmina Branson Collection
Scope and Content
The Wilhelmina Branson collection occupies nearly half a linear foot and consists of 1 box containing 12 folders. The collection is broken down in 3 series: Nuclear Medicine Lab, Byron M. Branson, and Eugene L. Saenger. The Nuclear Medicine Lab series contains photographs of the site of the lab along with images of the lab that were utilized in promotional material. The Byron M. Branson series contains papers and presentations based on his work at the Nuclear Medicine Lab, including one presentation for the American Pharmaceutical Association that is preserved on audio cassette tapes. The Eugene L. Saenger series consists of news clippings about the whole body radiation study and subsequent trials from local newspapers, including the Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati Post.
- Majority of material found within 1965-1975
- Branson, Byron M. (Person)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Biography of Byron M. Branson
Byron M. Branson was born on June 24, 1929 in Guilford, North Carolina, the first child of B. Russell Branson and Bessie Phipps Branson. He graduated from Guilford College, in 1951 and married Wilhelmina Braddock in 1957. Byron worked as a physicist for the U.S. Public Health Service for over 28 years before retiring in 1985. He was a life-long Quaker, a committed social activist, a pacifist physicist, and a devoted father. Branson was a member of Community Friends Meeting for over 45 years. He served on the Board of The Friends Home (Quaker Heights) in Waynesville, Ohio for most of 25 years. He also was a longtime delegate (for the Society of Friends) to the Metropolitan Area Religious Coalition of Cincinnati (MARCC).
Source: The Cincinnati Enquirer, Feb. 10, 2014
.5 Linear Feet
The collection consists of the professional papers and corrspondence of Byron M. Branson and the Nuclear Medicine Lab.
Statement of Arrangement
The folder arrangement adheres to the original order of the unprocessed collection.
- American Pharmaceutical Association
- Cincinnati (Ohio) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Radiation Protection Association
- Nuclear Medicine Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Nuclear Medicine -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Saenger, Eugene L.
- United States Public Health Service -- history
- United States. Public Health Service. Division of Radiological Health
- University of Cincinnati. College of Medicine
- Whole Body Counting -- instrumentation Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Whole-Body Counting -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Guide to the Wilhelmina Branson Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Veronica Buchanan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574