Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society Collection
Scope and Content
The Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society collection occupies 1.5 linear feet and consists of 2 boxes, 1 entirely devoted to ledgers. The subject matter of the collection ranges from transactions, minutes, papers, case reports, and resolutions of society meetings to membership and dues-related records, including a series of charts documenting every member of the society from 1876 through 1936. The collection spans the years 1877 to 1977.
- Obstetrical Society of Cincinnati (Organization)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
History of The Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society
"In the autumn of 1876, a dozen physicians practicing in and around Cincinnati formed a society devoted to 'the promotion of knowledge in all that pertains to Obstetrics and Diseases peculiar to men.' Boston had an obstetrical society since 1861, New York since 1864, and Philadelphia since 1868. Thus the Cincinnati Obstetrical Society was the fourth of its kind in the United States...In the one hundred years since its founding, the Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society has gone through several phases of character and productivity. The history, as recorded in the minutes, has made possible an analysis of some of the factors involved, and these include the interplay of the individual members with the scientific and sociologic events of the times. There have been a total of 215 people admitted over the years and the Society's thinking and activity have been shaped by the personalities of some of these....For the next century, the object of the Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society should be the promotion of knowledge in all that pertains to obstetrics and the medical welfare of women."
Source- The Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society 1876-1976 by Arthur G. King, 1976
1 Linear Feet
A collection of records and ledgers from the Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society.
Statement of Arrangement
The folder arrangement adheres to the original order of the unprocessed box.
- Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati
- Bonifield, Charles L.
- Cincinnati (Ohio) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cincinnati General Hospital
- Gynecology -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Jewish Hospital (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- King, Arthur G.
- Medical Societies -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Obstetrics -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Reamy, T. A.
- Reed, Charles A. L. (Charles Alfred Lee), 1856-1928
- Societies, Medical -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Societies, Medical -- statistics and numerical data Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Underhill, Joshua Whittington, 1837-1889
- Wright, M. B. (Marmaduke Burr), 1803-1879
- Guide to the Cincinnati Obstetrical and Gynecological Society Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Veronica Buchanan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574