Cecil Striker Archival Collection
Scope and Content
This archival collection occupies 45 linear feet and consists of personal and professional correspondence, manuscripts, realia, photographs,and other research papers generated by Striker during his life. Extensive coverage is given to the American Diabetes Association as Dr. Striker was instrumental in its foundation. Given Dr. Striker's interest in the history of medicine, the collection also includes materials relating to this subject.
- Striker, Cecil (Person)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Restrictions on Access
Series or folders marked [RESTRICTED] contain confidential patient information. Access will be granted on an as needed basis.
Restrictions on Use
Series or folders marked [RESTRICTED] contain confidential patient information. Researchers may neither USE nor REVEAL BY NAME OR ASSOCIATION the identity of any individual whose health information is in a document of record without the express written permission from the persons named or their legal guardians or heirs.
Biography of Cecil Striker, 1897-1976
Cecil Striker was born on September 25, 1897 in Princeton, Kentucky. He graduated from Cincinnati's College of Medicine in 1921 and completed an internship and a residency at Cincinnati General Hospital. He was also a resident physician at the Jewish Hospital before taking the position as Instructor and Assistant Attending Physician with a special focus on diabetes research. In 1925 he joined the medical staff of Jewish Hospital and was president of the medical staff from 1955-1956. Dr. Striker's interest in diabetes began when he was involved in testing the effects of using insulin to manage diabetes. Throughout his career, Dr. Striker became nationally and internationally known as a consultant for physicians with diabetic patients as he led the efforts promote successful diabetes treatment through insulin, diet and exercise. He helped found the American Diabetes Association and was its first President. Dr. Striker was an Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine until automatic retirement at the required age of 1968. He was the president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati from 1951-1952, and was president of the Public Health Federation from 1948-1950. In 1960 Dr. Striker was president of the Ohio Society of Medical History and in 1961 the presiding officer of the U.C. College of Medicine Alumnal Association. Dr. Striker had a devoted interest in medical history, and was the driving force behind the creation of a medical history society in Cincinnati. The society he assembled met for the first time shortly after his death, and the society voted unanimously to name the group the "Cecil Striker Society of Medical History."
45 Linear Feet
The professional papers and personal items of Dr. Cecil Striker, founder of the American Diabetes Association.
Statement of Arrangement
This collection is organized into 14 series, each with several sub-series. The arrangement is generally by topic, format, and then chronological, except for the Collections series which are mostly listed alphabetically.
Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions
This collection was given to the university by the Striker family.
- American Diabetes Association
- Banting, Frederick Grant, Sir, 1891-1941 Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Billings, John S. (John Shaw), 1838-1913 Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Bookplates Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diabetes Mellitus Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Diabetes Mellitus -- prevention & control Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Drake, Daniel, 1785-1852 Subject Source: Lcnaf
- History of Medicine Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Insulin Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Insulin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Insulin -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Insulin -- history Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Medals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medals--Collectors and collecting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical bookplates Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Research Council (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Project Hope Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Striker, Cecil, 1897-
- University of Cincinnati. College of Medicine
- Guide to the Cecil Striker Archival Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Mary Kroeger Vuyk
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574