Skip to main content

University of Cincinnati Medical Center Patient and Operating Records Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WC-UH-2012

Scope and Content

This collection contains various records and bound ledgers from administration of these hospitals.

Dates

  • 1837-1977

Creator

Language of Materials

The records are in English

Restrictions on Access

Because this collection contains personally identifying health information, its use is restricted according to the HIPAA Privacy Rule. Please call the Winkler Center for more information.

Restrictions on Use

Because this collection contains personally identifying health information, its use is restricted according to the HIPAA Privacy Rule. Please call the Winkler Center for more information.

Biography of University Hospital

The history of University Hospital goes back to the founding of the Medical College of Ohio in 1819 by Dr. Daniel Drake. With Drake's support the city of Cincinnati approved the establishment of Commercial Hospital and Lunatic Asylum in 1821. The name was legally changed in 1861 to Commercial Hospital of Cincinnati and again in 1868 to Cincinnati Hospital in 1869 when construction was completed on a new, larger structure. In 1915 another new structure was built by the city and the hospital was renamed Cincinnati General Hospital. In 1960 the University of Cincinnati was given executive control of Cincinnati General Hospital and renamed it University Hospital in 1982. The name was changed to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center in December of 2012.

Extent

120 Linear Feet

Overview

Patient records from University Hospital.

Statement of Arrangement

Ledgers are arranged by type and date.
Title
Guide to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center Patient and Operating Records Collection
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
Finding aid prepared by
Date
2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Finding Aid Written In English

Repository Details

Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository

Contact:
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574
513-558-5120