Maurice Levine papers
Scope and Content
The papers of Maurice Levine contain his correspondence, photographs, manuscripts, notes, and publications.
- Levine, Maurice (Person)
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on access.
Biography of Maurice Levine, M.D.
A native Cincinnatian, Dr. Levine earned his undergraduate and master's degrees from the University of Cincinnati and his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University, where he served residencies. He returned to UC's psychiatry department before doing further training and becoming a faculty member at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. Levine was one of the first psychoanalytically trained psychiatrists in the country to be appointed as a department chair. As well as being deeply involved in local and national professional activities, he was also committed to the Cincinnati community. He was the first administrator at the former Cincinnati General Hospital (now University Hospital) to desegregate his wards and the first to appoint a black resident. His determination to keep psychiatry in the mainstream of daily life made Cincinnati a model in the field of community psychiatry.
42 Linear Feet
The collection contains the professional papers, files, and correspondence of Maurice Levine, M.D.
Statement of Arrangement
The papers are arranged in folders by topic.
- Levine, Maurice, 1902-1971
- Psychiatry - history - Ohio. Cincinnati Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- Psychoanalysis - history - Ohio. Cincinnati Subject Source: Medical Subject Headings
- University of Cincinnati. College of Medicine. Department of Psychiatry
- Guide to the Maurice Levine papers
- Edited Full Draft
- Finding aid prepared by Doris Haag
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Cincinnati, Health Sciences Library, Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Repository
Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0574